View Single Post
11-18-2012, 10:55 PM
Big Phil
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
I think 76 will be hard to match but seriously I can see current guys having better careers than Shutt, Barber and Cheevers and not making the HHOF too.

Ditto with Savard, Lapointe and Gainey, alot of their HHOF entry lies on the fortune of playing on a dynasty teams.
To be fair, Savard, Lapointe and Gainey were main cogs in that dynasty. Take those three away and the Habs don't win 4 in a row. Throw in the Norris track record of the two d-men and the Selkes with Gainey and you've still got HHOFers.

Originally Posted by Hanji View Post
Why are losing teams not included? 1981 Canada had 12 HOFers, 1998 could potentially have 14.
Team NHL in the 1979 Challenge Cup had 19 HOFers, 2 more than the 1976 team.
I thought of 1998. Gretzky, Yzerman, Sakic, Nieuwendyk, Shanahan, Roy, Brodeur, Stevens, MacInnis, Pronger, Blake, Bourque. That's 12 locks right there. Add in potentials like Fleury, Lindros, Kariya and Joseph and you've still got only 16. BrindAmour is 17 if you want to count him. Somehow I can't see all 5 of those guys inducted.

1981 has Gretzky, Bossy, Trottier, Dionne, Perreault, Lafleur, Gillies, Gainey, Robinson, Potvin, Bourque, Smith. That's 12. The only "maybes" on that team are Liut and Middleton which leaves them well short.

You are right about the 1979 Challenge Cup. Technically there are 20 HHOFers on that team if you'd like to count them.

Big Phil is online now   Reply With Quote