View Single Post
Old
11-19-2012, 12:00 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 500
Bill Simmons "The Sports Guy" with his take on the NHL lockout

One of the most read sports columnist takes aim at Bettman and how the NHL is structured.

full article: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...t-go-away-gary

Simmons is clearly not a big fan of Bettman:

Quote:
The case against Bettman in one sentence: The NHL sacrificed an entire season so they could reimagine their entire salary structure and only seven years later, that "reimagining" went so poorly that they might have to sacrifice a second season because they need a mulligan.

That's all you need to know. I didn't even need to bring up the league's botched television deals, overexpansion, poorly picked markets, belated acknowledgement of the concussion epidemic, or more incredibly, how they stupidly forgot to limit the length of contracts. This is a commissioner who fought like hell to create a hard cap, and after it finally got approved, was too dense to remember to include a rule that contracts couldn't last longer than five or six years (like what the NBA does). That led to team after team circumventing that cap by giving out guaranteed deals lasting as long as 15 YEARS. Really, didn't see that loophole getting exploited, Gary? Never came up as you were hashing things out?
He also sees a problem with how the game is run and marketed itself:

Quote:
We should mention that, in a vacuum, he's correct about this particular lockout: The league's financial model (already a mess because we have too many NHL teams, which is 100 percent Bettman's fault, but whatever) can't be sustained with such meager television revenue. Hockey depends on its attendance and the unwavering devotion of its zealous fan base.
Quote:
It's the ultimate team sport, and really, that's the best thing about hockey there's a guaranteed level of entertainment night after night after night that transcends star power. Everyone skates hard, everyone throws their bodies around, everyone plays well together, everyone gives a crap.
Quote:
So how do we end up with a salary system that allows Minnesota to spend $196 million on Ryan Suter and Zach Parise? And that's not to pick on those guys you could build a decent playoff team around them as long as your goalie didn't stink. Just know that nobody is saying the words, "Suter and Parise are coming to town tonight!" It's just not that kind of league. You go to hockey games to see quality teams, not quality players. There's a fixed level of entertainment. Suter and Parise shouldn't make that much money because hockey players shouldn't make that much money. It has nothing to do with them.
Now I disagree on some level about the star power. I know I like to watch certain players. But it is interesting to hear his take as he is a more central media figure that only has recently gotten back into hockey in large part because his daughter loves the sport. Touches on some of the business aspects and doesn't hide his distain for Bettman which has been usual for him when he does write about hockey.

Wonder what everyone else thinks? It is different than the hockey insiders takes in my opinion.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote