View Single Post
Old
11-19-2012, 12:45 AM
OOEEL

vCash: 500
Coyotes in Five Years

So I feel like there are a handful of people on here that (completely understandably) stay within the sanctuary of the Coyotes board.

I was popping around the Prospects threads and I saw a "Your team in five years" thread, and I figured what the heck, I'll give it a shot. I figured I'd take the idea and start our own thread for it here so those that stay here can join in on the conversation and we have something to talk about that isn't lockout or CoG related!

Here's mine, feel free to chime in with your own ideas and any critique/analysis of my lineup/breakdown

---

M.Boedker-M.Hanzal-H.Samuelsson
L.Lessio-A.Vermette-C.Brown
L.Korpikoski-J.Martinook-A.Ruutu
K.Kessy-K.Chipchura-B.Hextall

O.Ekman-Larsson-Z.Michalek
K.Yandle-C.Murphy
B.Gormley-M.Stone

M.Smith
M.Lee

Obviously this isn't accounting for any type of trades or draft picks over the next five years.

I think Boedker is coming into his own and could emerge as a true top line scoring winger, and during the playoffs he did best with Vermette and Doan on his line. I wanted to place Vermie as the top center but Marty's defense is so good and he's five years younger than Antoine. I wanted to put Henrik on the second line but if he projects to be a Doan-esque power forward I think that'd work well for Bods going forward.

Lucas Lessio has really excited me following his production this year prior to his hand injury, I feel he could project into a top six winger, especially in a system that's thinner up front. I had thought about putting Shinnimin as the second line center but I still think he's a bit of a longshot to make the NHL. Could Vermette still be a top six guy at 35? Maybe? But he was better than some of the other options. Chris Brown is scoring almost as well for Portland as he was at Michigan, and I think he could become another powerful top six winger like Samuelsson.

I enjoy all the little things Korpi does including the PK so I hope he'll be around for a while. The 3rd right winger spot was a huge crap shoot and in the end I just chose Alexander Ruuttu because it was another Finn to play with Lauri. It was between Martinook and Werek for the 3rd center spot, and I went with Jordan because he's bigger and I think will be a better bottom six guy. I guess if Antoine leaves I'd slot Martinook as the second center and Ethan as the 3rd.

The fourth line should just be a pain to play against, so Kessy/Chipchura/Hextall seemed like a rather motley crew. Chippy seems like a longshot to stick around for five years, but I don't see Shinnimin or Miele being able to handle the physical rigors of fourth line play.

Defense was pretty straight forward, OEL is a stalwart definitive franchise player who will be there unless someone else overpays to take him away. Z still being a number one guy in five years is iffy but I'm not sold on Murphy yet, and our defense is left-heavy. The rest pretty much falls in line from there. I think Gormley could eventually pass Keith for the second pairing, but for now I'm going with the established name.

I doubt Smith is going to be a one year wonder, and of our three goalie prospects I actually like Mike Lee the most, and he's dominating the ECHL straight out of college, so I think it'll be between him and Visentin for our goalie of the future.

OOEEL is offline   Reply With Quote