View Single Post
Old
11-19-2012, 06:08 AM
danincanada

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
What you originally said was that the talent pool has at least quintupled. Pretty sure I didn't misunderstand your saying that.
I never stated the talent pool increased 5 times as fact. I'm tossing out an estimate but it could be anywhere from 3 to 6 times in my opinion. You've apparently researched and certainly done a lot of cross era comparisons so what has your estimate been? Surely you must have considered this in your comparisons and thought about how it would affect elite competition. Please let me know your estimate.

Quote:
Have I, or anyone else here, said it hasn't increased at all?
Again, please share your thoughts on this then.

Quote:
Here are some numbers that ARE relevant.

Players in the NHL
Canada 52.4%
Europe 28.1%
USA 19.5%

2012 Draftees
Canada 47.4%
Europe 27%
USA 25.6%

Of course there are some NHL-quality players in European leagues as well, which would tilt those numbers a little.
I'm glad you shared some RELEVANT numbers. In the '59-60 NHL season there were 138 Canadians, 2 Americans, and 1 Welsh and 1 Czech, who I assume were both raised in Canada. I don't have to break down these numbers any further. All else being equal, with the NHL being a 50/50 split between Canadians and non-Canadians now that would mean the RELEVANT NHL talent pool has increased 2X since 1960 and that is with assuming the Canadian talent pool hasn't increased at all since 1960. It's extremely unlikely that the Canadian talent pool hasn't increased since 1960 and anyone who claims it hasn't is being really foolish.

Quote:
This forum has a handy, under-utilized search feature. You are free to find the relevant threads yourself rather than asking me to do it for you.
You don't remember any key counter arguments at all?

Quote:
Straw-manning your opponents isn't going to help you in a forum where the majority are already well familiar with the lines of argument.
You refuse to estimate on the talent pool change and have really only offered up empty denial. It's time you stopped dancing around this.

danincanada is offline   Reply With Quote