View Single Post
Old
11-19-2012, 10:23 AM
Canadiens1958

vCash: 500
Not Guessing

Quote:
Originally Posted by danincanada View Post
You have not clearly shown anything as your guess is as good as mine.

In 1960, were there as many rinks that were open year round as now?

In 1960, did players train for hockey during the summer months like they do now?

Hockey must be in huge trouble in Canada if the population has nearly doubled since 1960 but hockey has been stagnant. Sorry, I don't buy it and don't see that around me. Not only has hockey grown due to growing families that were in Canada in 1960 but 1st and 2nd generation Canadians are latching on to the sport as well and some have even made it to the NHL.
You are guessing. I am not.

1960, no Canadian arenas were offering ice 12 months of the year. Maybe end of August to end of May at the extreme.Usually mid September to mid April. Still the case today for the municipal or community venues.

Obviously without arenas they could not skate year round. Most of the training consisted of playing other sports. Yvan Cournoyer was a recruited shortstop, others played football or were multi-sport athletes. Doug Harvey played football, baseball well enough to draw pro interest, plus soccer.

Canada has started producing great hockey players again - once they got away from the size focus. The first and second generation quote is very familiar.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote