View Single Post
Old
11-19-2012, 10:27 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
I'm not disagreeing (it's not something I follow closely, at all)... but why is it stupid?
From a monetary standpoint, it's very smart. Adding Maryland gets BTN into homes in DC and Baltimore, which makes the conference a lot of money.

From a competitive standpoint, it's the dumbest thing ever. This is a conference that has added 2 schools in its 'modern era' (since MSU replaced U of C in the 30s or whatever). Those 2 schools were 2 of the most historic in college football history and are highly competitive. Now, we're gonna add 2 schools that add very little to the conference, outside of those TV dollars. Sure, Maryland has a good basketball program, but football is what really matters. And Rutgers adds nothing whatsoever, IMO. All while destroying the tradition of being a midwest conference that the Big Ten has always had. I'd rather add Iowa State, Louisville, Cincy, etc than either of these schools because at least they are local and have either rivalries intact with our schools or ones that would translate easily.