View Single Post
11-19-2012, 11:49 AM
Nalyd Psycho
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I honestly think Belfour is closer to Roy/Hasek/Brodeur than he is to any other goalie who came after 1990. The man won 2 Vezinas and was a clearcut #2 to prime Hasek for a third. Also, he was fantastic in the playoffs for Dallas. His career playoff GVT is second only to Patrick Roy, mostly driven by his years in Dallas. I do think that Ken Hitchcock has a history of making goalies look statistically better than they actually were, but that's still quite impressive. I definitely remember Belfour getting a lot of credit for outdueling Patrick Roy in the playoffs two seasons in a row.
Of course he is a clear cut #4 who is closer to 3rd than 5th. My point is, why should I care how he compares to Tom Barrasso? He is also a clear step behind 3rd.I don't think we can say he's that close to Brodeur. He was close when he had a great year, but he was so inconsistent that it means that 25% of the time he was up there. And that's what skews the Vezina share metric, or the omission metric. When Belfour was on, yes, he'll put up results that make him look great. But your metrics do nothing to hold him accountable to the times he lost his job to Jeff Hackett, Mike Vernon and Marty Turco. With a player like Belfour, you cannot simply judge him on when he was strong. You have to judge him on when he was weak as well. And when he was weak, comparing him to Brodeur was beyond laughable. And it's not like his weakness came at the end of his career and he kept getting more chances after he stopped earning them. It's more like he'd get comfortable then just stop trying.

Every post comes with the Nalyd Psycho Seal of Approval.
Nalyd Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote