View Single Post
Old
11-19-2012, 12:25 PM
Nalyd Psycho

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I think it was more like 75% of the time Belfour was strong to varying degrees but near Brodeur-level, but 25% of the time he was weak. Weird career in that he played very well for several years, had an awful year, would be moved to another city and would play awesome for a few years again. For whatever reason, Belfour tended to be awful in his last year in a city.

Believe me, I value consistency by a goalie a lot (it's great to know that going into the season, Brodeur will give you consistently high level play season after season for 17 years), but it's not the only thing.

Where do you rate a guy like Belfour who was at a Brodeur level the majority of the time, but who (unlike Brodeur), had some serious pitfalls thrown in? I think you add him pretty soon, though I'm not sure if it's this round or not.

We didn't add a post-expansion goalie last round, and I think we are due this round. How does Belfour compare to Parent and Esposito? (And Holecek - I'm going to make a megapost on Holecek sometime this week, but don't let that stop anyone else).
I still have no idea what to do with Parent. Two years of Hasek/Sawchuk level, and a rest of career at a not a top 60 goalie level. Essentially the Jan Suchy or Art Duncan of goalies. And I wouldn't put either of them in the top 20 of d-men...

I'd rank Esposito over Belfour. I value Espo's consistently over Belfour's 3 good playoffs. (I personally feel playoff performance by goalies is too linked to team ability that I put very little value on it.)

Look at Belfour's numbers a bit closer. In Chicago his number were in steady decline after those first few years and was outplayed by Hackett the year before he was traded as well. In Dallas he was never really better than his back-ups after the first season, and was very clearly outplayed by Turco. His play was buffered by playing behind the best defensive team in the league. Toronto is pretty much the only place he was clearly better than his back-ups. And his back-ups there were crap.

Belfour was only better than readily available replacements for about 25% of his career.