View Single Post
Old
11-19-2012, 01:25 PM
Yakushev72

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
I read somewhere that Eberle is making $65,000 in the AHL for the whole year. I would guess that the missed month of salary is inconsequential to Nugent-Hopkins, and actually if he performs well for Canada at the tournament the increased exposure may end up generating a much larger sum for him in the future.
I am going to make this one last comment and then drop the matter altogether, as it has no doubt already been overtalked, and we can only wait to see what happens. I disagree with the premise that increased exposure and successful results will generate more money for him in the future, mainly because he is already considered an established NHL star, and he would be dropping down a level to play in the WJC. Sidney Crosby would not increase his income for playing great hockey at the WJC, assuming the age rule was overlooked, because he has already played great hockey at a higher level of the sport. On the other hand, I still think that his reputation with fans could be tarnished if he didn't produce much and Canada failed to win Gold, and that could cost him income derived from endorsements and promotions. I'm not talking about fans blaming him - but I do think that fans might tend to think, "boy, he didn't look all that much different from the other top players in that tournament." I could see him being hurt by an unexpected bad result, but not helped by the expected good result.