View Single Post
Old
11-19-2012, 01:46 PM
Power2ThePenguins

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Power2ThePenguins
A few months ago, I said that if I didn't have a sports job by the end of this year, that I would seriously look into moving on to opportunities outside of the biz. Although I briefly forgot about it on the high of interviewing with a minor league baseball team, I remembered coming back to reality.

The interview I had with the minor league team (OK, interviews) went very well, but the pay was so low there was no way I was going to be able to afford to move and live in the team's city. However, I ended up placing in the top five of over 30 candidates, so I guess I can't be too upset about that. I consider it an accomplishment given the competition.

However, I've realized that I'm not really up for selling tickets for not much over minimum wage. I want to work in media, even if that's low-paying too, and honestly, there's just not that many media relations jobs out there. The ones that seem to be available are non-paying or very low-paying internships. I'm in my late 20s and have a nice student loan bill (it's not as bad as some people are faced with, but I wish it were lower), and I'm thinking of going to grad school, which will only add more. I get told by contacts that I have potential, that I'm not doing anything wrong, and here I am still waiting for a break that may never came.

Right now, I am starting to explore other possibilities. I imagine I will stay in my original field (communications) but try to get a job in a non-sports capacity in that area, or I will explore something new altogether, as it's not like communications has a ton of earning potential and stability. This decision came about for some other reasons that I can PM to someone b/c I don't want to accidentally reveal my identity, but the money and lack of jobs other than pushing tickets are the biggest ones.

Power2ThePenguins is offline   Reply With Quote