View Single Post
Old
11-19-2012, 02:08 PM
Fidel Astro

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj8000 View Post
All I can say is what is good for the goose....

There is a lot of misinformation from both sides. You can have have as many threads with the proper information and the postings will still happen. Just ignore the posts and life is good.
Well, you're right, in a way. There's misinformation on both sides, for sure. However, the Coyotes stuff is happening now, in an era where every aspect of the proceedings is easily sourced online, and there are a half-dozen (at least) publications covering the ins and outs.

Not so for the Jets back in the 90s. There's a distinct lack of primary sources available, as newspapers didn't post their articles online back then the way they do today. Also, because of the length of time that has passed, it's much easier to misrepresent that information. I'm sure there are people here who were only babies when all of that went down... maybe even some, at a stretch, who weren't even born yet. So their knowledge of the details is mainly through word-of-mouth or quick online summaries of the situation.

...which is fine, but it definitely allows for misinfo to be propagated.

So I don't think there's an equal amount of ******** going on. I can go on here and say "the Coyotes barely attracted more than AHL attendance at their last game," for example, and then immediately look up their official attendance numbers, plus the top AHL attendance (from the AHL's site) for that day.

If someone is saying "the Jets rally only attracted 8,000 people," accurate attendance info isn't right at the fingertips, because it's decade-and-a-half old news. The insulting part, though, is that there are people here who were at that rally. I'm one of 'em. I was a teenager when the Jets left. I remember it quite well. So some guy from Arizona who probably couldn't even find Winnipeg on a map telling me that something I *attended* had drastically less people than it did is just... it's ridiculous.

...and, sorry to rant a little bit here, but I honestly feel like that kind of attitude has created the poisonous tension between the two fanbases. I'll be the first to admit that I've said some horrible **** to Coyotes fans, and to this day, I would spit on a Yotes jersey if someone walked past me in one. I absolutely ****ing loathe that team. ...but at least my anti-Coyotes screeds, once you remove all the foul language, are based on actual facts, you know?

I mean, if I criticize Yotes fans for not showing up to support their team at the time they need it most, that's not exactly something that can be debated. The team does need support, since it's losing money hand-over-fist, and the fans have been apathetic at best.

When they respond, though, it's either "Winnipeg is a frozen ****hole and **** everyone who lives there" or it's insert-complete-********-"fact"-here.

It's frustrating. When we got our team again, I really hoped the Coyotes fans would lay off. I think Winnipeg has proven that, contrary to what they've been saying for years, we can and will support a team, we are a strong hockey market, and players do want to live and work in Winnipeg.

...but no. They keep heaping **** on us, and then get all pissy whenever anyone suggests their team should be relocated. Like the evil Winnipeggers are somehow ganging up on them. Gimme a break.