View Single Post
Old
11-19-2012, 02:14 PM
JackSlater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
I am going to make this one last comment and then drop the matter altogether, as it has no doubt already been overtalked, and we can only wait to see what happens. I disagree with the premise that increased exposure and successful results will generate more money for him in the future, mainly because he is already considered an established NHL star, and he would be dropping down a level to play in the WJC. Sidney Crosby would not increase his income for playing great hockey at the WJC, assuming the age rule was overlooked, because he has already played great hockey at a higher level of the sport. On the other hand, I still think that his reputation with fans could be tarnished if he didn't produce much and Canada failed to win Gold, and that could cost him income derived from endorsements and promotions. I'm not talking about fans blaming him - but I do think that fans might tend to think, "boy, he didn't look all that much different from the other top players in that tournament." I could see him being hurt by an unexpected bad result, but not helped by the expected good result.
Sure, I agree that he has nothing to gain if he plays poorly. If he goes and plays poorly and nothing at all comes of his play, he loses ~ $10,000 in pay. If however Nugent-Hopkins goes over to Europe and has a dominant tournament, which I think is in play, his exposure would go up quite a bit. RNH is not Crosby. His is known throughout Canada, but I wouldn't say he is necessarily famous east of the prairies. Even in Ufa this tournament will expose him to millions of Canadians who may hardly ever see the Oilers. If he gets one commercial spot or an extra advertiser then he is certainly more than making up for his missed AHL income. I really doubt that this would even factor into his thinking though, since the AHL salary is so small and the potential income generated would be so difficult to isolate.

Also, this is where I was reading about Eberle's salary:
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...o-ahls-barons/