View Single Post
Old
11-19-2012, 02:36 PM
Trl3789

vCash: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Some people seem to think he is one of if not the most powerful voice in the sports media in the US. He literally is so powerful ESPN has allowed him to do whatever he wants. It is the reason he has his own off shoot web-site and he gets to write the exact style he wants. I suggest anyone check out grantland.com it is an interesting take a lot of times on sports and pop culture. In any event to fill you in.

From http://www.businessinsider.com/heres...to-espn-2012-8

Nobody knows what his actual deal is anymore only that Wilbon and Kornheiser now make jokes about his bank account. The feeling is he sky-rocketed past Rick Reilly and has basically no rules to what he does at ESPN anymore. He also has sold two best selling books.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Simmons

He is a heavy weight for people who have run around asking what the American response is, to have a guy like Simmons actually talk and explore the lockout is a big deal. He has a legion of followers and the fact he made the choice to do this on his weekly NFL picks lead in should also not be lost. That is one of his most read columns, he wants people to read this.

Now was everything right? Probably not, I don't know about the star point, I do agree with him on Suter and Parise even as someone that likes to buy tickets to see certain stars, they are not sexy stars that sell as far as they are coming to my town. But I no doubt fit into the loyal no matter what crowd he also eludes to, I just love hockey, I like to go to games. If you pressure me into picking a couple a year then yes stars might factor in, but I am much more interested in the product itself. Which is a large part of what he is getting at. The idea that most stars spend only a third of he time out there is interesting, I mean I know it but I have never really thought of what that means to the casual sports fan.

A lot of us aren't casual hockey fans. But Simmons is the kind of fan the NHL should want and not just because of how powerful he is. The guy literally wrote articles on whatever Olympic sport caught his fancy all summer, he becomes a powerful advocate for anything he starts to like. For example he wrote an article on Handball a sport rarely if ever seen in the US and it trended on twitter pretty much because of him alone. But more importantly he is a window into big sports and he has recently become a season ticket holder to the LA Kings. Even though he is an NBA guy he goes to all the NHL games in his city. He is explaining the things that confuse him and guess what if he is confused chances are this is more in line with how casual fans think.
Thank you for such a well written, informative post.

I personally love what he writes, and what he has brought with the introduction of Grantland. It is a different take on sports, one I find refreshing. I also agree that it is a huge deal that he used his lead in to his NFL picks to talk about the lockout. I think he has the potential, by himself, to expand the game and catch the attention of people who may not be fans as is. That may be a bit of a stretch, but he is an extremely influential voice.

Edit: I should add that there are a large number of people who really dislike him as an analyst and a writer. They think he's confusing and flat out bad at what he does. I just find his takes refreshing. I should also add that he is responsible for the extremely successful 30 for 30 films, almost all of which are amazing.

Last edited by Trl3789: 11-19-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Trl3789 is offline   Reply With Quote