View Single Post
Old
11-19-2012, 04:02 PM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I think that's important to know about him, but how does it make him better than if his innovations had been eagerly accepted? Or if they hadn't been his ideas at all?

In a sense, is it any bigger a deal than inventing the butterfly or the slap shot? Those are important innovations, but they don't vault Glen Hall and Bernie Geoffrion (or whoever is getting credit for inventing slap shots this month) over the competition on an all-time list. Shouldn't Harvey be judged on what his innovations allowed him to achieve, rather than on the fact that they were innovative?
So how do we set about judging that though?
How do we judge the effect his puck possession and control had on those Hab teams? Or how his positional defensive play instead of attacking prevented more goals?
I mean obviously it must have been much more effective than what was going on previously or it wouldn't have been copied so thoroughly.
We don't have, or at least I haven't seen anything for him in R-on/R-off numbers or ESGF/G or ESGA/G. Is there even enough info available to do it?

All we really have are articles from people saying how incredible he was at controlling a game and preventing goals. Along with his 7 Norris for doing it.

Rhiessan71 is offline   Reply With Quote