View Single Post
Old
11-19-2012, 03:36 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFC View Post
I can't believe that on a hockey board people don't see that sometimes things are more than the sum of their parts. These are 2 Goliath's of the sport going at it and yes Silva has the size and reach advantage but GSP is only 4 cm's smaller then Silva in reach even if Silva's over 4 inches taller. Also how can anyone say Silva is faster? I find he moves around a lot more but that doesn't mean he's fast, its just his style, GSP is lightning quick and when it comes to strength I wouldn't give either the advantage. I think Silva is a better striker and GSP the better wrestler and better at take downs but they are both good at both so IMO it would come down to who has the better strategy and can dictate the fight.
Reach is measured from fingertip to fingertip. You have to be pretty blind not to see the difference in the legs. Also, reach isn't just about a number, it's more about how you use it. GSP doesn't uses his reach only the jab and then cycle, that's it. If he's not doing that, he's busy getting his opponents down. Silva however, uses his reach to punch effectively and stay out of danger, not to mention his leg reach is big as well.
The size of his limbs also make him harder to attack while on the ground and more dangerous off his back.

As for speed, in terms of punches Silva seems to be quicker. Not only that, but the precision of his punches is remarkable.
GSP has fast foot work, but his punching exchanges are that impressive. He will be quick when he'll jump forward to throw a jab and then step back, because of his legs, but that's it.

GSP's only advantage is wrestling, but does he have better takedowns? There's no way to really know seeing how Anderson Silva simply doesn't take his opponents down. When he is on top, he usually inflicts damage, just look at the Henderson fight (nobody had ever punished Henderson on the ground at the time, and he made him his puta. This when Silva was criticized for having a weak ground game).

GSP's only chance is to turn this into a wrestling match right away, like Sonnen, and make sure he doesn't give any chance to Silva on the ground, even off his back, or doesn't take too much damage when he shoots. That's it. Outside of this, it's all Silva.