View Single Post
Old
11-19-2012, 03:39 PM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Pretty much the same as Lidstrom, right?
No, not the same. Puck possession and full ice control of pace and tempo has never been a big part of Lidstrom's game. That's much more in Bourque's territory.

Quote:
To me, a lot of this stuff just cancels out unless you're giving a substantial originality bonus to Harvey... which I'm getting more reluctant to do now that I'm thinking of him as more of a technical trailblazer than a force of nature. Other than that, we could almost not create two more equally balanced players from such a diverse era. It's like everything between them just evens out, or boils down to guesswork.

At some point, hopefully soon, I want to dig up as much info as possible on Harvey to try and at least determine what seasons he was the #1, #2, #3 most important player on each of those Hab teams. And then do the same for Lidstrom, try and pin down exactly where he was in the pecking order that resulted in so much team success. My nightmare is that they'll be tied, but maybe there will be some kind of difference that would push one ahead of the other.
So basically, the way I see it is that they both played very conservatively, both played a very strong positional defensive game and both were very much more inclined to exhibit their offensive abilities on the PP than at Even Strength.
However, Harvey also had a physical element to his game (Harvey was deadly with his hip checks) that Lidstrom didn't and Harvey was no boy scout. He exhibited a nasty mean streak from time to time to keep the opposition honest.
Then you add to that, his puck possession and game control abilities and I simply see Harvey as the superior overall D-man.

Last edited by Rhiessan71: 11-19-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Rhiessan71 is online now   Reply With Quote