View Single Post
Old
11-19-2012, 04:11 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
'sick' plays are much easier in the AHL, than the NHL. Why? because the caliber of the league is NOT the NHL.

I just did not see a player that was confident hitting players in stride to keep the momentum of breakouts going or moving through the neutral zone. Along the boards? Not his strength.

Again, the bottom line is he is NOT NHL ready. He is skilled, but is flawed and needs more time with less pressure to develop. That's all. People see stat lines and so 'yeah, he's amazing, 1st line Mike Gartner!' - Come on, the Isles need to let this develop in the "A" until he is comfortable with his game and body. People saw flashed of brillance in Bailey's passes in his rookie year. Years later, the team and its fans are waiting to see that consistently.

Hamonic - looked smooth, calculated, and savvy - qualities of an NHL player. Nelson, looked similar w/o having NHL games.
The way I see it is this:

If Nino were putting up these numbers in any other year, I'd be impressed. The fact that he's doing it during a lockout, where there are now a ton of players who are either already established NHLers, or guys that would be playing in the NHL this year, makes it that much more impressive.

Obviously the AHL is not the NHL, but that doesn't mean it isn't a tough league to play in. Especially for a 20 year old kid. Nino needs to refine parts of his game, I'm sure no one would argue that, but to not be impressed with his play thus far(especially after all the "bust" talk this offseason) just comes off as extreme nitpicking. No offense, just my opinion.