View Single Post
Old
05-23-2006, 01:28 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

vCash: 500
It's kind of weird to see a pre-draft backlash against Wishart. Some of the negative comments in this thread are very strong and definite for a guy who is likely a top 20 pick on several teams' lists.

I'm not much of a junior expert, but from last year's experience, I've learned not to put too much stock in the end of year U18s. Price and especially Latendresse looked pretty bad. Also, I remember being very disappointed in Parent the way that Wishart seems to have disappointed armchair types this year. A lot of the same types of criticisms relative to their playing styles: too passive, physically tentative, a step or two behind the play, etc. All three players have turned out to be pretty good prospects so far, and Parent had a great WJC this past year. I would be pleased to have taken him at 20th or whatever overall last year.

As I gather my impressions leading up to the draft (mostly from knowledgeable posters), I can't say that I would be disappointed with Wishart. I tend to associate the pick with Chipchura in 2004, probably based on the strong character, good size and presence, but questions about eventual impact upside. I think there's a lot to be said for character, raw tools, and development opportunities through being on Hockey Canada's short list for international tourneys.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote