View Single Post
Old
11-19-2012, 04:37 PM
markyj93

vCash: 500
My Picks

Knowing Hockey Canada throughout the years for this tournament, undrafted 17 year olds have a much harder time making the team which will make it tough for Shinkaruk, Drouin especially. Think back on the players that have been cut for this tournament as 17 year olds (Nugent-Hopkins, Duchene, Seguin to name a few). MacKinnon is the golden boy right now and can provide service in more of a checking role if he isn't scoring. He also built some pretty good chemistry with Jonathan Huberdeau in the super series and could be used on the first line. Sean Monahan will have it tough but could fit like a glove on this team given his adaptability to either a wing spot or playing tough minutes at center against top lines. To be safe I slotted him as a 13th forward but I think he will be one of Team Canada's more important forwards as the tournament goes on. My picks with 3 solid scoring lines and a shut down line:

Huberdeau Nuge Mackinnon - whole team could change if they use Strome on wing.
Jenner Scheifele Rattie - good balance of size and skill, all tough to get the puck from
Hudon Strome Ritchie - another good balance w/ chemistry between Niagara players
Danault McNeill Wilson - These 4 players would get some tough minutes
Monahan

If Huberdeau and Nugent-Hopkins are in the NHL, Griffith, Di Giuseppe are good candidates. Di Giuseppe had a pretty strong camp last year when a lot of people didn't know who he was. Griffith provides good playoff experience, and would be valuable on a scoring line.

Rielly Hamilton
Reinhart Harrington
Ouellet/Dumba Ceci
Murphy

There are a lot of options on D and the injury to Murray opens up a defensive d-man spot for a guy like Reinhart. Not a huge Dumba fan, but he had a good camp last year and Hockey Canada loves him. Rielly will be great on the big ice. Defense is tough to pick and is certainly Canada's strength. Lots of big mobile defensemen which is essential on big ice.

Subban

Not a goalie guy but its been one of Canada's biggest weaknesses for while now. Strong defensive play could make this team really hard to score against with Subban in net.