View Single Post
Old
11-19-2012, 04:40 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I'm not sure it's just Lidstrom supporters doing the dumping, seems like a general phenomenon that kind of came out of nowhere. Probably connected, as you say, to the fact that he played for so long after his peak that he became kind of a joke. And also that he kind of burned his bridges in LA, which doesn't exactly rival the big northern markets in terms of vocal support in the first place. There just doesn't seem to be a big pro-Blake contingent to offset the momentum of the dismissive comments.
I think a lot of it comes from some advanced stats people and the current obsession with even strength play. Compared to other superstar defensmen, Blake's plus/minuses are weak both absolutely and compared to his teammates. Comparing Blake to Niedermayer (who has a similar Norris record), I always thought Nieds was better at even strength and Blake was better on both special teams. Since a lot of advanced stats people have been de-emphasizing special teams play (wrongly IMO), it hurts someone like Blake