View Single Post
Old
11-19-2012, 04:44 PM
Neely08

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Used his size fine?? Hmm, agree to disagree, with that big frame, we should have seen a guy who repeatedly relied on that frame who could drive the net, dominate the boards etc....I didn`t need or expect Wheels to be dominant with open ice hits, bowl over opponents however, too many times I watched smaller players (recall one game in particular where on 3 occasions Gomez won board battles) beat him in areas it was inexcuseable for him to lose battles in.
Wheeler didn't even implement his size during a shootout. With his reach he should have been forcing goalies to have to get across after freezing them. Saw him do it once, and perfectly, the rest of the time he stick handled into the goalie's pads like mini-one on one.

He'd show flashes of using his reach, but it was like watching someone who had no idea they even possessed the advantage. Simply using his size to protect the puck? Nope. Again, it seemed he had no clue how to utilize his own strengths.

I love the classic "Kessel defense" e.g "Oh, him not powerforward like Neely, so he was traded. Duuuuuh". Shows what a myopic view some have of the game.

BTW, Lets completely ignore he was also a deer in the headlights much of the time. Especially when we needed him to step up most. Step up and score a goal? No. Step up and not be an empty uniform, actually play close to his potential, period. He never did, we only ever saw slivers of it.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote