View Single Post
Old
11-19-2012, 04:57 PM
MXD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
(...) He was close when he had a great year, but he was so inconsistent that it means that 25% of the time he was up there. And that's what skews the Vezina share metric, or the omission metric. When Belfour was on, yes, he'll put up results that make him look great. But your metrics do nothing to hold him accountable to the times he lost his job to Jeff Hackett, Mike Vernon and Marty Turco. With a player like Belfour, you cannot simply judge him on when he was strong. You have to judge him on when he was weak as well. And when he was weak, comparing him to Brodeur was beyond laughable. And it's not like his weakness came at the end of his career and he kept getting more chances after he stopped earning them. It's more like he'd get comfortable then just stop trying.
You brought a valid point Nalyd.

I'm just not sure there's anything bad in losing a starter job to players like a prime Hackett (who wasn't exactly Mr. Consistency either and who's the prototypical goalie-who-can-get-hot-for-a-given-period-of-time), Hrudey or Turco, especially considering how wildly fluctuating goalies performances are since, let's say, the early nineties, which is partly explainable by a bigger number of teams and by the fact that everybody can be on fire here and there.

Last edited by MXD: 11-19-2012 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Me and Nalyd confused Vernon with Hrudey, my bad
MXD is offline   Reply With Quote