View Single Post
Old
11-19-2012, 07:51 PM
RayzorIsDull

vCash: 500
I understand what you're saying. I guess it depends on the perspective you're looking at. If you are under the impression they want to contend next year you need to look at where they need to improve. I know I come off as negative most of the time but I don't think it's far fetched to say that the biggest area of improvement from this point in time to next year has to be on defense and looking at the current D on the roster you could say it needs to be overhauled.

Current D
Posa-not eligible next year
Bowen-hasn't shown anything to be considered a top 6 on contending team
McNaughton-regressing over the past month, read comment above on Bowen
Bateman-He hasn't really developed, most think he should be moved out
Devlin-Another guy that really hasn't developed, he may stick around but could be moved
Ebert-Been much maligned for the past year, he hasn't been as good as his first year but has looked better compared to this point last year
Sanvido-Has been one of their more consistent D looks to have a good future
Sieloff-Best of this group and will only get better just have to hope he's not in the AHL next year

So breaking it down you have one guy that won't be back for sure, two that have shown they aren't capable of being top 6, 2 others that could be moved or certainly 1, then you have 3 guys to work with and hope Sieloff doesn't play AHL.

In conclusion you probably need to bring in 3 real solid D to get to a championship level. If the organization thinks Brown can be part of that group he needs to be called up now and worked in so he can develop. Obviously you would like to get Butcher in the fold but no guarantee there, so where are these 2 other D going to come from or 3 D come from? Obviously you would hope to find a real good one in the import draft but looking at filling out your D you will need to trade assets away to get a real good D, no picks in 2013 to speak of so you will have to deal 2014 and 2015 picks.

I find it ironic that people want Rychel to be patient and he's preaching patience right now but trying to go after it next year and be a contender probably isn't in the cards looking at this roster. Maybe he should be more patient and start rebuilding the right way and not try and do it on the run which he seems to either want to do or will do.

Note this was only addressing the biggest weakness. We haven't discussed how this team needs to get stronger up the middle, get a group of OA's for next year as well which will take more assets being moved. Like I said if you are preaching patience this year follow through with it next year and move players out and rebuild the right way.