View Single Post
Old
11-19-2012, 08:00 PM
Fulcrum

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
I can understand this frustration and I do believe more needs to be given to the clubs who develop these players, should be based on games played and success in the NHL. I do however detect some bitterness from you that the NHL is the top league and and not the KHL. Not to disrespect but I don't believe the KHL can overthrow the NHL in terms of being the prime destination to play anytime soon. Many people from all over the world see America as the place of opportunity and a way to escape the troubles in their countries. Despite some areas it is generally seen in a positive light. I simply don't know if I can say the same about Russia.
Which is why I was talking in Principle. In practice, it will be a while before KHL can be as desirable as NHL.

But it's not as far and unrealistic as you might think. As with soccer, the Russian Premier league is a much more prestigious and desirable league to play compared to the Major League Soccer. So it's not unrealistic for KHL and Europe, in general, to become a giant in Hockey with time.

Canada is what is really holding the Hockey in Canada at such a high level, but Canada is a rather small country of 30+ mil people and has limitied resources for expansion. Hockey is only the 4th major sport in US after Football, Basketball and Baseball which is limiting potential for NHL.

Russia (where hockey is establishing as the #1 sport) and certain parts of Europe have a huge market potential going forward. That is where the optimism comes from.