View Single Post
Old
11-19-2012, 08:23 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
They were very important but those Montreal teams were just destroyers in their totality as well

Take away all 3 then yes they don't win 4 but they maybe win a couple still, take away just one and replace them with a league average player those Hab teams probably still win 4 Stanley Cups.

When the next strictly defensive forward gets into the HHOF then I'll agree on Gainey but I won't be holding my breath on that one.

As for their Norris voting records, there are probably guys with better voting records that aren't in the hall but I'd ahve to look into that.

Those 3 were more of an afterthought, I'll stand on Barber, Shutt and Cheevers in that we are going to see guys not getting into the Hall with better overall careers IMO.
I'll agree with you on Barber, Shutt and Cheevers. They all had marginal HHOF careers and personally I don't see much seperation at all between Pete Mahovlich and those two forwards.

But Savard, Lapointe and Gainey were great individual players in their own right. Savard and Gainey won a Conn Smythe. Gainey won 4 Selkes and the award was sped up because of him. Savard was the prototypical error-free defenseman that knew when to join the rush at the precise time. As for Lapointe, I suspect that even without a Cup he is a HHOFer based on his Norris track record which is impressive. I really think you are underrating these three players.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote