View Single Post
Old
11-19-2012, 09:05 PM
KH1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
Can you expain to me the logic in wanting him gone in the midst of 2011? An elite leadoff hitter who can steal 40 who was in the midst of a great season?

You said in the earlier post that it was him pulling himself from game 162 so he could win the batting title and up his free agent value. Was game 162 a must win? I highly doubt it was about the money, how much difference would a few points in the average make?

Not to mention I've seen more then one interview where Reyes stated that the Mets didn't even offer him a contract. How could he have known at that time that he wouldn't be offered a contract? Why wouldn't the Mets at least offer him a 'hometown discount' contract and see if NY was where he wanted to be? I read somewhere that he lived in Manhasset - my fiancÚ is from that area and I can't think of too many more appealing places to live in the entire world.

He's worth the money for the Jays because we haven't had a real leadoff hitter in a long time. We have one of the best 3-4 combos in the league, but 1-2 needed work. Reyes will lead off, and Bonifacio/Melky Cabrera are two very viable options in the 2 hole.

That kind of money is the cost of doing business when dealing with that calibre of player.
I can't speak for Fire Sather (or for Mets fans, since I grew up 10 minutes from Yankee Stadium,) but if you look at Reyes' numbers he just hasn't been that great throughout his career. In 10 seasons, he's missed 20+ games 5 times. He's hit .300 just three times (and one of those seasons he had only 290 PA.) Watching him play, he still makes mental mistakes that you'd expect from a rookie.

Reyes is undeniably electric when he's hot, but he's not worth 5 years $92 million. And when he loses it, he's likely to fall apart quickly (that's a risk of having a speed player on artificial turf.)

That's all well and good if Toronto is willing to have a $150 million+ payroll, and use Reyes as a very expensive secondary piece. But if they try to build around him because of his contract -- as they tried to do with Vernon Wells not so long ago -- they'll regret it.

Will be interesting to watch the AL East over the next 2 years, while the Yankees re-tool and Boston full-on rebuilds.

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote