View Single Post
Old
11-19-2012, 09:05 PM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Interesting stuff but some counter points to consider.

Orr was the best player of his generation, let's put that aside for a bit and wonder how dominant he would have been without expansion and the NHL remains a 6 team league?
He remains the best player of his generation and he still wins 2 Art Ross.

Quote:
Wayne also has a bit of a perfect storm thing going on as well.
Here we go again, the unproven "Perfect Storm" argument and once I will ask the same question I do every time you bring it up.
Was Gretzky the product of a perfect storm or was he the creator of it?

Quote:
In a later era with an emphasis on two way play from everyone he doesn't score and dominate offensively as much either.

Ditto for Mario.

I think that something that doesn't get considered enough with guys like Wayne and Mario is how they were allowed to play all out offense and were not expected, and didn't play defensively at all.
PROVE IT!
They were allowed to play all out offense because their offense was so far in front of everyone elses that their defense didn't matter.

Quote:
On the surface offensively they tower over a guy like Datsyuk but take in the total game and the dominance is a bit less.
If you mean in that on a scale of 1-10 that Dats is an 8 offensively and a 10 defensively vs Wayne and Mario being 20's offensively and only 3 defensively.
Then yes, Dats makes up some ground but his "total" game still isn't as dominant as Wayne and Mario's offense on its own.

Quote:
We have seen how an all out offensive team like Washington has fared and the tinkering that has gone on. It's pure speculation but the modern game would have some influence on the 3 super gods me thinks.
There's a HUGE difference between trying to succeed as an offensive team and trying to succeed as an offensive team led by Gretzky or Lemieux. HUGE HUGE difference!

Rhiessan71 is offline   Reply With Quote