View Single Post
Old
11-19-2012, 09:10 PM
KH1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Better Call Saul View Post
The Yankees aren't that good right now. They only have one dependable starting pitcher, a giant hole in rightfield, no catcher, a shaky bullpen and a banged-up Jeter, among other problems. Obviously at least some of those issues will be solved come April, but they'll have their share of flaws. Barring an unexpectedly productive winter - which is unlikely given their new payroll-slashing ways - I doubt they'll be slam-dunk favorites come springtime.

If their "big" offseason moves are along the lines of trading for, say, Ricky Nolasco (whom they're rumored to be in on despite his total ineptitude in the NL), re-signing Ichiro and Martin, and making some cheap bench and bullpen acquisitions, they'll look as vulnerable as they have in a long time.
It's definitely too early to panic about the Yankees. There's been (justifiably) a lot of focus on their playoff meltdown, but you can't forget the 162 games that came before it -- the Yankees were seemingly more vulnerable than ever last year, and they still ended up with the best record in the AL.

If they fail to bring back both Pettitte and Kuroda, then I'll be seriously concerned. But, given the job that Brian Cashman has done throughout his career, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt until July, much less November.

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote