View Single Post
Old
11-19-2012, 09:13 PM
Ryker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerbullet View Post
One of the biggest problems that I have with NHL. There should be clear "price list".

Player A plays 100 NHL games. His home club gets X amount of dollars.
Player A plays 1000 games or whatever. X amount of dollars.
Player A wins some award. X amount of dollars for that.

Fair and square. Not this BS system that is in place today.

Some of these players pretty much saved the entire franchises. Look how Washington have benefited from Ovechkin. What Dynamo got in return? Pretty much nothing. Malkin goes and wins Hart, Art Ross, Conn Smyth. Magnitka gets nothing. And it's not like clubs can't afford to pay a few millions.
Well, but then to make it fair, the NHL clubs would have to pay millions to the local Canadian and US clubs that grew those players, as well, and that would just make it very unfeasible. The KHL, too, should by that logic pay Swedish, Finnish or any other countries' clubs that grew players that have now played a significant amount of games in Russia. I mean, I get the point of the NHL "stealing" players from across the world, but unless they're actually making players break contracts I don't see why they should be held financially responsible. It's a free world, and any player should be able to choose his own path. I'm a huge Russia supporter in all things hockey, and also hate how the KHL is viewed in North America, but even with this bias, I can't see anything wrong with NHL clubs offering contracts to players from abroad without compensation to their clubs. If the player does not have a contract, he's free to go, and if he does and he breaks it to go play in the NHL, he should be held responsible, and not the NHL club he's going to play for.