Old
11-19-2012, 10:21 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Ward has played in 7 playoff series and lost only 1 of them. He has played in Game 7 of a series 4 times and never lost. Getting run over by a team that boasted Malkin and Crosby, both having ELITE playoff runs together in perhaps the only time we will get to see that team of destiny make a run like that, is nothing at all to be embarrassed about. Losing to the eventual cup winners when the team in front of you has grinded out two series going 7 games is not even close to shameful. Prior to that series, Ward had a .927 save percentage and a sub 2.3 goals against in 14 games against two superior teams. Are you really going to look at a player that is 6-1 in playoff series and claim that the ONE loss is the true barometer of the player? A player that is undefeated in Game 7, when at the end of the rink across from him in those games included Ryan Miller, Martin Brodeur, and Tim Thomas?
If not for Brodeur's implosion in game 7 of the EQF in 2009, Ward wouldn't have won a single playoff round that year. Also funny how you somehow think mentioning the other teams goalie makes Ward's feat impressive...it doesn't. In fact, Ward went to 7 games in the SCF opposite Jussi Markkanen. Shouldn't he have been able to win that before 7 games? That's how ridiculous that argument is. Ward's 0.908SVP against Boston in the series before getting shelled by Pittsburgh doesn't look too impressive either.

I know other goalies who post great numbers before getting blown out at the end of playoff runs who are dubbed "chokers" yet that label doesn't apply to Ward? It's all on Ward that his team is 6-1 in playoff series with him in net, yet when we talk about other goalies then wins becomes a team stat?

A 2.74GAA and a 0.915SVP this year doesn't scream top 5 goalie at all. I really really am baffled as to why people think so highly of him. He isn't that good. Plain and simple.