View Single Post
Old
11-19-2012, 10:30 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 View Post
Z's done a fantastic job of elevating his game when Datsyuk's been out in recent years, and that's just another reasons as to why he will be the next to wear the "C". But when Datsyuk and Zetterberg are both in the lineup, Datsyuk's been the better player more often. It's close and they're both franchise type centers, but the team simply looks different when Datsyuk is playing. As Ken Daniels said a couple of years ago, "as great as Lidstrom and Zetterberg are, Datsyuk is the straw that stirs the drink."
That was a cute comment by Daniels, and while it may have some truth to it from a certain perspective, it doesn't really mean a whole lot. All three players have been extremely valuable to Detroit, but Lidstrom is easily the best of the 3, and was the most valuable. In that respect, Lidstrom was the straw that stirred the drink. It's just that Lidstrom's excellence, from an on-ice, tangible perspective, was very quiet and often difficult to notice for many fans, while Datsyuk is the opposite; very flashy, with his excellence on full display and in your face. Zetterberg, meanwhile, is more like Lidstrom that Datsyuk; more quietly excellent with his actual play. I can't even separate Hank and Dats by a full ranking. They are an A and a B for me. But I give the slight edge to Zetterberg.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote