View Single Post
Old
11-19-2012, 11:28 PM
EvenSteven

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
I thought the Bailey-***-Pederson line was fantastic all night -- either with Sterk or Meighan at centre. They had numerous scoring chances (in addition to their 2 goals) and had the Knights pinned down in their end of the ice on almost every shift.

Sterk's having to go off for repairs created an opportunity for Meighan and he delivered big time, scoring one goal and almost getting another shortly after.

Meighan fit in perfectly between Pederson and Bailey - so much so, that if I'm Spott, I put Meighan there for the next few games while at the same time, have Sterk center the 1st or 2nd line for the next few games, some PP time too, in an effort to audition him as a more appealing asset moving forward towards the trade deadline.

If the newly created line of Pederson-Meighan-Bailey line doesn't miss a beat, and Sterk shows he can produce with higher end forwards playing top 6 minutes, maybe we can bring in a high end veteran center or d-man with Sterk as the primary piece going the other way.

Let's face it, with one 2nd rounder before 2017 and no 3rd's before 2018, any dealing we're going to do for the help this team needs has to include young players off this roster. If we can show Sterk is capable of much more offense than he currently has (8 points in 21 games), his stock goes up and maybe we don't have to deal higher end youth.

Spott says he'd like to add a veteran centerman between now and the deadline. Lack of high end draft picks won't be his only problem. The uncertainty of the NHL lockout is one problem and the fact that so many teams up to now are still "in it" is another.

Because of the NHL lockout, there are certain teams who don't know if they are buyers or sellers. Barrie and Niagara for instance. Both are contenders right now and if the NHL season is lost, we can consider both teams to be buyers I would think. However, should the NHL start up, Barrie will almost definately lose Scheiffle and Niagara Hamilton. Strome may also stick with the Isles. If those things happen, both teams will likely become sellers. Right now, these teams are in a waiting mode.

Also, so many teams are still "in it", more than usual at this point. If that continues to be the case, we'll have a sellers market - meaning it'll be a good time to sell with so many teams bidding against each other. Spott will have to improve this team by one OA and one high end 93 birthdate because there is no doubt that the other contending teams will be looking to improve as well.

This season, a season Spott called special, whispering about the Memorial Cup, losing out to other contenders in bidding wars won't be acceptable. Last year, that's what happened when London passed us by, by picking up Watson and McKegg. I don't think we need two high end players like that, what we do need is one high end guy and a good OA to replace Czinder on the roster (ie. Shoemakers. Ross. Menard type guys)

If AC is ever returned, (I know, it's a longshot now) then he'd be the 3rd OA after Alberga and Czinder's replacement.