View Single Post
Old
11-19-2012, 11:41 PM
silkyjohnson50

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Well Zetterberg has historically been much more important to stirring the drink in the post-season. You know one of the things we like to attach more value in around Detroit. It simply cannot be argued that Datsyuk has been near Z in that area. Not to mention generally when we don't win one of the first things you can look at is Datsyuk didnt show up that year when the chips were down. Fine he has been roughed up, but Z has produced hurt in the post-season as well.
Z definitely has the edge in playoff play, but there were definitely circumstances that shouldn't be overlooked. Let's just look at post-lockout:

06: Datsyuk is injured. Not only does he miss the end of the regular season, but he misses game 1.

07: Breakout postseason performance; Best Detroit forward as they reach Conference Finals.

08: Great postseason; Detroit's 2nd best forward and good enough to win a Conn Smythe some years, but Z's edge in the Finals is the difference.

09: Offensively frustrating postseason for Datsyuk and one that I predicted prior to game 1 vs Columbus. Obviously the injury hampered the final two rounds, but the biggest reason IMO and the reason why I predicted it was Babcock's use of Hossa. Datsyuk was playing the best hockey of his career when on a line with Franzen and Holmstrom that regular season (they were put together around new years), but Z and Hossa were so poor together that Babcock re-switched the wingers prior to the playoffs. I'm convinced that if Babs leaves the Hossa off of Datsyuk's wing and keeps Franzen and Holmstrom there instead it's a different outcome. Regardless, great run by Z.

10: Solid postseason. Flip a coin as to which forward was Detroit's best - Pav or Z. I thought Pavel was a little better, but It's splitting hairs. Just don't mention Franzen!

11: Not just Detroit's best player, but the best player in the NHL thru 2 rounds. He was dominant and nearly beat SJ single handedly.

12: Z was better. Pav was never the same player after returning from his knee injury that season or postseason, as he didn't seem to have the burst, explosion, or strength on his skates. With that being said, Pavel also had two wingers who couldn't skate and was the player facing Weber and Suter every shift.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote