: Prospect Info:
2012-2013 Connecticut Whale/Greenville Road Warriors Thread (AHL, ECHL)
View Single Post
11-19-2012, 11:53 PM
Sent to HF Minors
Join Date: May 2007
Originally Posted by
My favorite prospect of all time. I have a game-worn jersey of his from pre-season with the Rangers. Losing him was terrible for this team.
He was looking like a future 25-30 goal scorer when he was injured. He was the last prospect to get cut that preseason and was supposed to be back before Thanksgiving. Cherneski was also a really good student and was named something like the best student in Western Canada.
That whole draft was a huge disappointment.
1. Stefan Cherneski: was supposed to be at least a second liner, but got injured.
2. Wes Jarvis: Neil Smith declared that he's a first round quality prospect who's a "safe" pick that will surely play in the NHL on the second or third pair. Instead, Jarvis had a hard time making it in the ECHL. Wind up in Britain and some other low-level Euro leagues.
3. Henry Berke: Had what seemed to be a breakout season after being drafted. In his two post-draft seasons, he had more than a point per game in the WHL, which is amazing for a defense-first, big defenseman. Then his career went nowhere.
5. Johan Lindbom: Was supposed to be NHL-ready as a bottom line player by the time he was drafted. Went nowhere.
7. Johan Holmqvist: Was pumped up hard by some people on HF and on AOL's Rangers forum. Was supposed to be our starting goalie of the future. Had a couple of seasons in the NHL, but nothing special.
The only prospects who made it are Mike York and Mike Mottau, though neither did much for the Rangers because York got traded for crap (Poti) and Mottau didn't become a regular until he left the Rangers organization.
This draft looked at one point like it would set us up for the future with a star goalie (and two other goalies drafted), 3-4 highly-touted defensemen prospects, and 2 prospects meant to be on the top-6, and another two bottom line prospects.
Obviously it could've been predicted that a lot of these prospects will bust, but the hype surrounding this bunch was very significant and the hope was that we'd wind up with at least 3 quality Rangers from this bunch.
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by Beacon