View Single Post
11-19-2012, 11:57 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
This is a bit OT, but can you really not find indoor ice in Canada during the summer?

That's a jarring thought to me, being from outside the natural hockey climate, since all our rinks are year-round. It's never crossed my mind that it might actually be hard to find ice at times up north.
I'm from Halifax, the capital of Nova Scotia (and largest Canadian city east of Quebec City/Montreal - by far), have lived here well over 25 of my 35 years, and I'm struggling to think of more than one new (2010) place that keeps, or has kept, ice in straight through the summer (aside from summer hockey school weeks, which are obviously only open to those who enroll/ed). The new complex aside, all other rinks I can think of - including the Metro Centre - have numerous events that prohibit it, and are necessary sources of revenue. Even worse, the lakes barely freeze anymore these days, meaning it's even relatively hard (compared to my youth) to get out on skates in winter unless you drive to an arena and bring your wallet. I can basically see three different lakes (plus a glorified pond) from my house, but have to drive 15 minutes to get to a rink, lol. Well, not lol.

Last edited by Ohashi_Jouzu: 11-20-2012 at 12:04 AM.
Ohashi_Jouzu is online now   Reply With Quote