View Single Post
11-20-2012, 12:12 AM
Hockey Outsider
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
First glance, it seems pretty good at capturing the defensive abilities of the players as I remember them in 1998. Of course, it's hard to recall the finer distinctions after 14 years, but I'd say it's at least helpful for roughly putting things in perspective.

The one thing that jumps out at me is Zubov over Lidstrom. It seems a little early for Zubov as a defensive standout, but I guess the next season was the Stars' Cup run... was he really that good defensively at that point? I definitely didn't think so at the time, but it was only a few years removed from when he was just bad on d, and that reputation takes some time to wear off.
Roles should be taken into account - in 1998, Hatcher was significantly better than Zubov defensively but their ES GAAs are probably similar because Zubov got much tougher defensive assignments (so it's not an apples to apples comparison - both allowed around 2.10 goals per 60 minutes, but Hatcher did this against much tougher opponents (and equal goaltending) so it's clear that he's better defensively). Look at what happens to their PK GAAs (when pure defensive ability is critical) - Hatcher does roughly 25% better than his counterpart.

Of course, some of this could be randomness due to small sample sizes too.