4. Gordie Howe
5. Jean Beliveau
6. Dominik Hasek
7. Eddie Shore
8. Patrick Roy
9. Raymond Bourque
10. Guy Lafleur

Note: 5-10 largely interchangeable.

Question: Am I only the one who doesn't get all the hype with Maurice Richard? Great goal scorer, for sure. But the man was constantly injured, below PPG in both regular season and playoffs.. There's no way he's in my top 10, let alone top 5 linke some of you guys over some of the better players who played since Richard's time.
Richard was something special and he should be there for a variety of reasons. When he came to the league in the 1940s, he singlehandly saved it from instinction. Also his 50 goals in 50 games was unheard of at the time and it took Mike Bossy in the 80s to match it. In my opinion the Rocket represents the most the fighting spirit of the sport, there never has there been a player who had more desire to win, with a killer instinct making him score so many important playoff goals. The guy never gave up and his grit was only matched by his speed and scoring ability. Not to mention the brawls and the famous riot in Montreal. The image of the Rocket is a guy rushing to the goal with two men on his back and putting one in the net by shear force of will. I don't think there will ever be another like him.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote