View Single Post
Old
11-20-2012, 01:48 AM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

vCash: 447
I do not think anyone could argue that Gretzky didn't have the greatest hockey career of all time. It is stupid to do so, the records speak for themselves.

By the same token, I do not think that it feasible to put him below #3 overall, and even putting Lemieux ahead of him would take a decent amount of convincing.

That being said, putting Bobby Orr at number one is not something that should be laughed at. My father has seen tons of hockey, and he puts Orr above all the rest, and this is coming from a Montrealer who moved to the west later in his life.

I look at Orr's numbers, I look at Gretzky's numbers. I then take a look at youtube vids, documentaries, etc. Gretzky was otherwordly in many regards, and the same can be said about Orr.

I myself would place Orr a bit ahead at number one in terms of who I feel is the better player, and there are a couple of reasons why. Firstly, he dominated the ice from top to bottom unlike anyone I've ever seen. His skill set, combined with his IQ, toughness and vision, made him the best D-man there ever was by quite a bit. He elevated the play of his teammates offensively, while also providing defense at a franchise level. I do not think we will ever see something like that again. Same for Gretzky, but to a slightly lesser degree.

Here's my final note: about longevity. I have seen this used as an argument against Orr, and I want to address this.This is something that comes to personal opinion, but as far as I'm concerned, Orr played enough games for me to be comfortable with placing him at no. 1. Speaking personally, longevity is crucial when analyzing a player's career, but when it comes down to judging how good a player was at hockey, I go strictly by a player's on-ice performance. What happened to Orr was unfortunate, especially with the knee-on-knee situation with Pronovost. I will not dock points off when he showed, in my mind, what he could do over enough games to justify his position.

With all that being said, here is my top 10. For context, this is based off first hand accounts from documentaries, my views on their play with what footage I have seen, and of course, my father's input, whose experiences from watching several decades of hockey is important to me. Some of the later picks are interchangeable:

1. Bobby Orr
2. Wayne Gretzky
3. Mario Lemieux
4. Gordie Howe
5. Jean Beliveau
6. Bobby Hull
7. Eddie Shore
8. Maurice Richard
9. Doug Harvey
10. Raymond Bourque

I would also like to give some shout outs to those who I've been able to see in my own lifetime, and who I would consider for my personal top 10: Sidney Crosby, Joe Sakic, Nicklas Lidstrom, Steve Yzerman, Alex Ovechkin, Teemu Selanne, Peter Forsberg, Jaromir Jagr, Patrick Roy, Dominik Hasek, Mark Messier, Brian Leetch.

And yes, my list will continually be updated over the course of my life. But first things first: end the lockout.

BLASPHEMOUS is offline   Reply With Quote