Old
11-20-2012, 06:42 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
that's what pretty much anyone thinking owners are right think, they're millionnaire so they should suck it up, they have no right to complain...
Well, they clearly have every right to complain. If I was running things at NHL HQ - and didn't know anything different about the NHL finances than I do now that would make me think differently - I'd certainly have offered them far better terms than the NHL has, and be far less adversarial about it. I think the players are getting ripped off. But that said, I think they need to do the math. And understand what they're up against. They *will* lose 1 year of their salaries, minimum. A good 10-20% of them *will not* return to NHL jobs. NHL revenues overall *will* take a hit as fans continue to lose interest, which will affect their incomes further. As long as they understand that what their fighting for now really is just principle, union strength, bargaining position for the next generation of players, and that they are going to sacrifice their own income and job security to get that, then fine. It's their choice to fight that fight or not, and I don't begrudge them the fight one bit.
Quote:
Now, lets see if after a 10%+ cut on your paycheck, things will be fine
Don't tell my boss, but for sure, I love my job and I'd take a 10% cut if it meant keeping the job. I could probably handle up to about 30% cut before I'd have to give it up. I would dare to think those guys playing in the NHL like their jobs similarly. And make tons and tons more money than me. I mean, it's a totally irrelevant point, I think, because I don't really see any justification for them to take paycuts... their industry has been booming (quite the opposite of mine). There shouldn't be any hard decisions needed. But if it does come right down to it... the money isn't everything for some people, for whatever that's worth. I don't know how many of them are at the point yet where they see it as "10% paycut vs. job loss"... but some probably are getting there, and more will. Some never will too. It will be interesting to see how the group dynamics play out.