View Single Post
Old
11-20-2012, 08:24 AM
EverettMike

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post
Maybe my wording wasn't the best choice of words Mike, and you are correct.

BUT... my original post was directed at the talk that they make money from their other businesses/ventures. The two are not intertwined and shouldn't be.

If I owned a billion dollar brief and boxer manufacturing company that basically printed its own money and an NHL team that lost money, why should the money I make selling you underwear have anything to do with the financial viability of my hockey team?

Now, if those briefs or boxers had NHL logo's on them, different story
I agree. Success with one company in a totally different field should have no bearing on whether or not the other company is getting screwed.

But we should acknowledge the reality of the situation too.

Nobody buys a sports team to make copious amounts of money. It is probably the worst investment a rich person can make if they want to turn their gobs of money into gobier sums of money.

They are vanity purchases.

It is a little disingenuous to treat these guys like typical businessmen when they enter the sports world for other reasons.

And again, I honestly believe they still have a right to a fair system. I did support them overwhelmingly in 04 and thought the players didn't get it.

This time I think they greatly exaggerating the situation, and that this has more to do with their inability to share the money the league makes fairly.