View Single Post
Old
11-20-2012, 08:46 AM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

vCash: 500
Halifax?

I think Halifax would be good site. The arena is big enough and in the center of town. The AUS could bid rather than a school (much like it has previously for Men's Basketball).

You don't have to give a berth to either Halifax team - you could just take the the AUS finalists. The Maritime are small, 4hrs from Halifax to Fredericton - with Acadia and SFX nearby and loyal UNB and UdeM fans, you would get a good draw from any AUS school that makes it.

If no one steps up, the CIS may have to host it on their own - then they will find out out how hard it is to organize and find the guarantee.

I'd like to see Winterpeg, but they have an NHL team.

I'd like to see Ottawa (with two schools, much like Halifax) but they have an NHL team and two Junior teams. The Civic Centre is a good rink, but not really near the downtown core. Neither school has organized something like this, so it would be a big commitment.

At this stage, the bidders may have the upper hand - if no one comes to the table, the CIS may have accept whatever committees are willing to offer as a guarantee.

The other CW Teams have a WHL team, NHL team or both to contended with. UBC has a great rink, but the timezone is a hard sell (5-7 EST is 2-4 local time).

The OUA West has too much OHL.

OUA East has Nippising, Kingston(K-Rock Centre holds 5,700) or MLG (Ryerson). I think Ottawa and MTL are hard sells - what rink and logistics.

The AUS has Moncton and Halifax.

At this point - it's a matter of who has a committee and the motivation. Nothing says you have to host.

Long Shots
- Windsor (Windsor - WFCU Centre, 6500)
- Hamilton (Copps, 19000)
- Charlottetown (UPEI - Charlottetown Civic Centre, 3600)

Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote