View Single Post
Old
11-20-2012, 09:23 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom ServoMST3K View Post
Everytime I start to become apathetic about the situation a player says something so mind numbingly stupid that i go back to hating mostly the players
Bingo.

Most of the people I talk to fall into one of two camps. The first is anti-Bettman (not anti-owner, not anti-NHL, but anti-Bettman). The second is anti-player, with a little bit of anti-Fehr and anti-union-in-general.

With the absolutely mind-blowing stupidity of several player comments so far, it makes it pretty clear why the NHL's gag order on team officials speaking makes perfect sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
I don't expect the players to have much of an insight into all the nuances involved. I think most of them accept what they're told.
That's part of the problem too. There's the old phrase about it being better to be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt...what these guys apparently don't realize is that what they say inherently carries weight because of their position. The average person under any circumstances has little tolerance for the so-called "first world problems", and when that's magnified by a global economic downturn in the last four years, it's basically dumping gasoline on a fire.

When the average fan feels insulted by completely asinine and uneducated statements being made by players, bad things happen. We all remember the backlash from Trevor Linden's "get better jobs" or Mike Modano's "feeding my dogs" comments...

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote