View Single Post
Old
11-20-2012, 09:33 AM
Whileee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
Actually the real interesting thing in all this is...

Clark and the council are admitting, that by even talking about Jamision buying the arena... that building the arena in the first place was a huge mistake and they want it off their books in anyway possible. A few years back Lieberman was quoted once as saying something to the affect that once the debt on the arena is taken care of, he doesn't care if the Coyotes stay or not.

Saying that Westgate needs the Coyotes is a smoke screen...
Saying the CoG as a whole needs the Coyotes is a smoke screen...

This is all about a city building an arena that they now admit was a mistake and how can we pay it off. There dream obviously would be to have someone buy it from them and remove the burden from the CoG. Not ever going to happen IMO.
A big part of the "mistake" was that the COG didn't expect that they would have to pay $15 million a year to secure a hockey team for the Jobing.com. Now that the reality is sinking in, some are now rethinking the original business and development model. Clark is not. I think that's fine. Her vision, and that of other council members, is centered on keeping the Coyotes, even if it means a large subsidy. That's their prerogative and if they can convince citizens to support them and do this legally, then I'm all for it. I like hockey.

What is objectionable is the way in which she and other council members and the city administration has so consistently misrepresented the actual cost of the deals and the exaggerated claims about the financial benefits. Maybe the electorate become just educated enough to realize that they didn't want to re-elect a council member who would play fast and loose with the facts and act without conveying a sense of fiscal responsibility. If she wants to educate the citizens, give them the facts, not some cooked up version that supports your position.