View Single Post
Old
11-20-2012, 10:20 AM
Macman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
It certainly can, and nothing's mixed about it, really. It is an issue. Period. It just seems highly unlikely that it's going to be an issue big enough to offset the advantage in pure talent level.

Of course, it is. It isn't just about skating. It's about a ton of details in the game, with far less boardwork, huge differences in one-on-one plays for defensemen as well as forwards, angles for the goalies, and on and on and on. Those are issues. I'm not saying they are as big as some would like for them to be to make the competition less predictable, but to say they aren't there to some degree is simply not paying respect to the reality of the game as it's played. Obviously, Canada basically always has the best talent level, and so they are entirely capable of simply overcoming these undoubtedly existing issues (as they've done in the past leading to their given record), and I certainly expect them to overcome these issues this time around, as well. But to say they don't exist, well, that's just not paying respect to what's happening on the ice.
Nobody's arguing that adjustments don't need to be made on big ice vs. small, but there is always the implication by many Europeans here that Canada doesn't play well on big ice and that its international success has been built almost exclusively on North American ice. It's a myth based on wishful thinking not history. When I say big ice is a non-issue, it's because Canada (and Russia) can win anywhere, not because tactics and player selection don't change.

If Canada takes a banger like Wilson to Ufa instead of a skilled guy like Drouin, its chance of winning will be diminished IMO.