View Single Post
11-20-2012, 11:30 AM
Global Moderator
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
i never got that sense (in that i never saw how those were specifically "trap breaking" teams; seems like pittsburgh would have been the closest thing, though i don't think their strategy was to beat NJ so much as it was to keep jagr and sometimes mario happy).

but i'd love to hear about this. you obviously saw a lot more of the eastern conference than i did those years.
At the time, the way to beat the Devils would thought to be to get bigger and stronger and power through them. Toronto especially was constantly trying to "get tougher" to beat the Devils.

Originally Posted by jack mullet View Post
NJ was always a head scratcher for me. as consistent as they were in the regular season, they were very inconsisten in the playoffs, at least by winning standards.

when they did actually get out of the first round though, and even this year this proved to be true, they usually go all the way, or lose in the finals.
Especially from 1997-1999, they just couldn't score in the playoffs. Jacques Lemaire took a lot of heat after 1997 and 1998 for having the team play playoff hockey from Day 1 of the regular season and burning them out by the time the playoffs started.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote