View Single Post
Old
11-20-2012, 12:05 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
David Thomson is worth 23 billion dollars. He's the richest owner in all of sports. He could lose 50m every year for the rest of his life and not put a dent in his fortune. For these guys these teams are a plaything. When the time is right he'll spend and try to win.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Rich people don't get rich by tossing money around, or throwing money after bad money...it is a minor investment for somebody like Thomson, but he has made it perfectly clear that he anticipates the Jets to be a smart solid investment, not a money drain...not too mention he is only 50% owner, with the other 50% being Mark Chipman who cannot afford to throw money around on that level. Do not anticipate TNSE to treat these team as an expense.

I have no doubt we will follow a SJS/NSH type model...during lean rebuilding years we will be near the bottom on payroll, but we will spend when we have the team to spend. When it becomes time to rebuild again we will be cutting salary. The life of a mid market team...
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyarenadotnet View Post
Agreed. And you don't buy a sports franchise to make money, that being said you should not have to worry about spending to the cap and losing money when you sell out every game, at the 2nd highest ticket prices in the league. This league is broken, and guys like Fehr are only making it worse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
I like Winnipeg but can someone tell me why the thompson family bought the jets but did not buy the Toronto Maple leafs?
I think the flaw in all of this thinking is that we are looking at the Winnipeg Jets as a separate entity. I don't believe that Thomson or Chipman do. They look at the Jets as an anchor for a much much larger investment in downtown Winnipeg. Having a healthy successful team that sells out every year spurs spending all over the SHED, in which they will be very invested. So, if they have a team that can compete for a championship but operates at a loss, they IMHO will accept that as a cost of feeding their bigger investment. They will look at the balance sheet of the total investment and as long as that is making money they will be satisfied.

As for the Leafs thing, there is really a big opportunity here for growth and investment for Thomson and I think that, coupled with personal affection for Winnipeg led Thomson to invest in the Jets and downtown Winnipeg.