View Single Post
Old
11-20-2012, 02:06 PM
ContrarianGoaltender

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
As of 1936, Jack Adams liked Tiny Thompson better than Roy Worters. Keep in mind that Worters was all but finished at this point:
Interesting. Adams is one guy that I definitely respect when it comes to analyzing goaltending because of his success in developing goalies in Detroit. Adams' high opinion of Brimsek was what helped cement my view that Brimsek was the best of his era.

Adams' comments did come during a year when Thompson led the league in GAA and shutouts, but Adams was still probably right that Thompson was better than Worters by that point because Worters was 35 years old.

Honestly, I think it's pretty amazing and reflects very well on Worters that he was a starting goalie as long as he was considering his size. I would expect a 5'3" goalie to have an early peak and tail off by his early thirties because he would have needed to be exceptionally reliant on his athleticism and agility.

Worters may have been close to done by 1936, but even as late as 1933-34 he was probably still something of a difference-maker. Compare his play to that of his injury replacements that season:

Worters: 12-13-10, 2.01, 4 SO
Five other goalies combined: 3-10-0, 4.38, 1 SO

Other than one game of Alec Connell on loan, those guys were all minor leaguers and top amateurs, but that doesn't exactly suggest that the Americans were particularly great defensively. Worters still ended up 3rd in the league in GAA.

ContrarianGoaltender is offline   Reply With Quote