View Single Post
Old
11-20-2012, 03:13 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
His stats are looking very impressive for now, with this production we should definately try him out at some exhibition games and see how he does. NCAA is a good league, he plays in a strong conference. Scoring there at a good clip at a young age like Kossila is impressive.
Even if he seems to be at comfortable 1ppg pace, his game sample is far less than some of the more prominent names vying for those spots. And I'm not really referring to actual production, rather than pro league conditioning.

An eligible player with ~20 games in SM-liiga, no matter the production, has put up a lot better display than a player with 8 games in NCAA. And this year there are a handful of guys who have to get cut even if their description fits the former to a tee.

Besides, the U20 camp is not as with full-grown men where there's constant rotation as better players keep coming in. Last year for example, Raipe picked 4 goalies, 9 d-men and 14 forwards to the first camp, with all the big names there as it was. It's really all about honing teamplay and trying to figure out who gets cut in the end.

Besides, it's not like there's a real lack of smallish centre forwards in the first place. Granlund, Teräväinen, Aaltonen and Leino all fit that bill, and all apart from Leino are pretty much locks if healthy. And then there's of course Barkov who is the surest lock of 'em all. And with wingers there is even more to pick from after slotting in the certain ones.

I'm not saying Kossila couldn't possibly put up a good showing if he were to get a chance. What I'm saying is that he is unlikely to get it because Rindell is going to have his hands full trying to figure out who to cut even without bringing in any blindside picks.

FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote