11-20-2012, 02:34 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyisforeveryone View Post
This could be its own thread!

Interesting ideas, I wonder how other people feel about what you're saying. A year ago I would agree with this, but now I've lightened up and let most expectations go.

IMO what is super fun about adult rec. is it's each unto their own. We're coming from such different places to form a team. I do take my game, preparation, and most importantly practice fairly seriously. I caught the hockey bug strong, got excited, and thought "everybody" I played with was on board... but yea was at first a little let down while my own game continues to accelerate (slowly).

Some folks eat taco bell right before a game, only play once a week, never dry out their equipment, etc., and I do get a little chuckle yet enjoy playing together still. Keep improving your own game and you never know it could rub off and you'll always find a few that care, like here at the Rink.
You have the bug, that's the key. I run across guys all the time where I'm not sure why they even play hockey. It appears to be some sort of thing they have to take part in, they don't really care for it but they show up for most of the games and go through the motions. I've really learned to let up on these types of guys, you're not going to change people's personalty's by yelling at them at beer league games. I'm man enough to change teams or rinks and find guys who have similar drive to what I have and that's where I'm comfortable. As of right now though I'm on a team that needs my help and 90% of the team needs to move down but that would mean moving from Sunday's to weeknights meaning they won't be able to play hockey anymore. And that's one of the reasons why I work hard to continue to get better at hockey at 39 years old-I know one day I won't be able to play hockey anymore but until then I'm going to give it my all to help the team win games so that when my time comes I'll be able to look back and know I didn't half ass it.