Old
11-20-2012, 03:07 PM
Killion
Global Moderator
Semolina Pilchard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
...Interesting that the "CARY" acronym has become more than a local joke!... Basically, yes. Those three shattered the curve. Whether they played in 1960 or 2012, they were simply THAT much better than anyone else in the world.
... I have friends in Charlotte. Most amusing that.... not sure I agree with your inclusion of Mario in the same bracket as Orr & Gretzky though Tarheel. He was an incredible player, unbelievable moves, but did he "re-think & re-shape" the way the game was actually fundamentally played positionally? Gretzky, Orr & Lemieux, Roy, Parent, Hasek & others from the crease out could control a game and its momentum, swings, dips & ultimately its outcome through sheer force of will & talent.

In fact, I think its debatable that even Orr makes it into the Supernatural Category, as in many respects he was a product of Darwinian evolution. From Shore through Harvey, while contemporaneously there were in fact numerous rushing defenceman playing through the 50's & early 60's while Orr was still knee high to a grasshopper. Tim Horton for example. He was a rushing defenceman before he got nailed early, broken bones, unable to crank it into 4th gear thereafter, playing stay at home. Brad Park played in Orr's shadow, so lets say there was no Bobby Orr. Brad Park in retrospect would have inherited the mantle passed on through Shore & Harvey; much copied thereafter by the likes of Coffey & so on. He wasnt as good as Orr, but good enough to be considered even today "great".... not sure if Im being clear?

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote